Learn what makes some designs look better than others, and how to implement those design fundamentals in your own work.
What you’ll learn
- A solid understanding of the foundations and principles of graphic design.
- How to find and use the abundant amount of resources and freebies out there to help guide your design journey.
- The confidence to create compelling designs with any software. *NOTE: no software will be taught in this course; you will understand HOW to structure your designs no matter what software you use.
- Nothing; just have a desire to learn the basics about design theory and the “hows” and “whys” that make good design “good.”
This course serves as a bird’s-eye-view of Design Theory, including industry standards for alignment, contrast, and color in print and web design. Universities and colleges spend entire semesters teaching this single topic, and the goal of this course is NOT to condense every design theory out there into a quick course – that would be impossible. The goal of this course IS, however, to provide students with a solid baseline so that they can begin designing with confidence, and so that they have the tools and resources necessary to continue learning the theories and principles of graphic design on into the future.
At its core, graphic design is an art form, and art is always evolving. Design rules are often made to be broken, but a broad understanding of what actually makes a design pleasing to the eye is key to developing relevant, eye-catching, and on-trend design pieces.
As an added bonus, we have a private Facebook group with over 5600 students and counting, which is an awesome resource for you to take advantage of while you go through the course. The group is an excellent place to post projects, get insightful critiques, and network with other like-minded students and working professionals all over the world.
*NOTE: This is an ever-expanding course, and new videos will be added consistently based on student feedback, since my goal is for everything in this course to be 100% pertinent to what my students really want to learn about. So feel free to weigh in on what you want to see added!
I look forward to guiding you through this course, and to giving you the tools necessary to continue learning design principles as your skills grow.
Cheers!Who this course is for:
- Beginners that have no idea what design theory is.
- Intermediate students that want to better understand the principles and elements of design.
- Anyone that wants to better understand the theory and “rules” behind great graphic design pieces.
Created by Derrick Mitchell
Last updated 10/2018
Size: 310.67 MB